One of the ways I’m filling odd moments during my winter travels is to work on the pages in my “coloring calendar.” I hope to have it finished by January 1.
I use these line drawings as exercises in making color choices. Here are the first two, January and February.
I hit a snag with March. I became over exuberant and tried to emphasize color AND pattern AND shape. Focusing on one element would be safer, or perhaps two, but refusing to give up anything meant the image dissolved into an ill-defined mess.
I could look at this as a failure, or as an opportunity to decide what to do next. I decided to recreate a calm, solid backdrop so that the creatures would better stand out. To do that, I traced the negative space around them, cut the negative shapes out of Tyvek, and glued them around the images.
I painted the new background silver, in keeping with the theme of an illuminated manuscript. This was much more satisfying